Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Star Wars Trailer Episode VII

Star Wars Trailer Episode VII- "The Force Awakens"



Given the theme of my blog its probably surprising to some that I haven't commented on this sooner. To be honest with the part time job and the holidays life was just a tad difficult. Enough excuses, here I go. I'm not going to go into a long, drawn out post about this, but hit the high points.

The likes:
  • I really liked the look of the new designed X-Wings. I noticed it the first time through as they skim the water. Their helmets look about four sizes too small, just like Peyton Manning's helmet...
  • The Millennium Falcon scene I liked. Others I know did not but I liked the action.Even accounted for the new deflector dish that was snapped off by Lando in Return of the Jedi. 
  • Also with the Millennium Falcon scene I like the cut to the theme music at just the right time.
  • The placement of the villain? In a deserted, dark, snowy forest? Thumbs up here.
The dislikes:
  • The droid with the soccer ball? Really?
  • Not sold on the "light saber" not even sure its a light saber per say. I put it in the dislike column for now until the next trailer or we know more. It may be that the knowledge of forging actual lightsabers is now fairly scarce. I don't think the wielder is a Jedi or Sith so that may explain it.
  • Trying to make the storm troopers seem fearsome. Stop, give it a rest, these mooks couldn't hit the side of a Sand Crawler, oh wait they actually did hit that. These guys got their asses kicked on Endor. "An entire legion of my best troops await them..."- Emperor Palpatine. If these are your best I'd hate to see your worst..
The "I'm not sure":
  • The "uproar" of  Jango Fett being the progenitor of the clones and thus the storm troopers? I wonder what plot twist this might entail so I'm not upset, more curious then anything else. Then again its not like the Star Wars franchise is internally consistent on points regarding the storyline anyway... For one its never really cleared up as to just how we get from Clones to Storm troopers so who the Hell knows (note I haven't watched the Clone Wars cartoon). My guess is that with the fall of the Empire clones are hard to come by or non-existent, thus John Boyega's character; perhaps the storm troopers are now mercenaries?
  • The narration... first time I can think of a Star Wars trailer having narration. It sounds like they got Benedict Cumberbatch to do it, probably while they were filming Star Trek- Into Darkness... 
And of course no pop culture moment would be complete if that meme of all memes didn't have something to say.  This might be better then the trailer, you decide:

In closing I'm going into this open minded. In the back of my mind I can't shake the notion that Disney is going to "Disney it up...

No comments:

Post a Comment