Ahhh… the Dogs of War. Everyone’s favorite mercenary scum in Warhammer.
If the Chaos Dwarfs were the lost children of Warhammer Fantasy Battle for years, then the Dogs of War were… well, I’m not entirely sure. They lingered. After the Chaos Dwarfs were removed from the game, Dogs of War at least got a PDF army list that served as something official. So rather than being cut abruptly like the Chaos Dwarfs, they just sort of hung around on the edges.
Wind the clock back to the early years of Chaos Dwarfs Online (2007–2009). I was an admin there. The forums back then were hopping, as were the forums for every other faction. Skaven had The Underempire, Chaos Warriors had Chamber of the Everchosen; you get the point. If there was a faction in the game, someone had spun up a forum for it.
All of that except Dogs of War.
There was a site I stumbled across and quickly became a mod on called The Tavern. That mod, Baumann, and I set out and created Dogs of War Online. That was 2009. Dogs of War Online in turn led to the creation of the ezine Gold and Glory, despite the fact that I wasn’t even a Dogs of War player. From the start the site was a sister site to Chaos Dwarfs Online, and Xander helped me with a few areas of web design I wasn’t familiar with.
Creating an ezine would have been a solid achievement on its own. Doing it while also producing the Chaos Dwarf ezine The Word of Hashut was borderline madness.
And I think that’s really where the crux of the issue with Gold and Glory lay. It wasn’t that the ezine was bad. It was simply a case of me being stretched too thin. Young family, dog, two jobs, admin of two sites — it didn’t leave a lot of time for much else. People would ask how I managed it. The honest answer is that I didn’t sleep much. I also didn’t paint nearly as much during at times, especially when one of the two ezines was in production.
Looking back, Gold and Glory wasn’t bad. It just suffered from not enough hours in the day. Unlike Chaos Dwarfs Online and The Word of Hashut, there also wasn’t the same desperate energy behind it. Chaos Dwarf players had to create everything because there was no official support. Dogs of War at least had that quasi-official PDF list to lean on.
Looking ahead, I’ve spun up a new Dogs of War site. But much like life repeating itself, I haven’t had as much time as I’d like (dealing with elderly parents will do that). History repeating?
If you’ve never read Gold and Glory, all of the issues can be found here and are free.
Let me know what you think!

No comments:
Post a Comment